Professional Fire Protection Engineering
Building Owners and Property Management firms may have some 'mature' buildings in their portfolio. These buildings may require new fire detection and alarm systems in order to properly protect the investment and the building users. Gage-Babcock and Associates Ltd. (GBA) provides professional engineering services for the replacement of aged fire alarm systems while also specifying that the new system application and equipment is state-of-the-art, properly installed, and in compliance with the most current relevant Codes.
GBA's qualified and experienced fire alarm system design and code professionals follow a thorough and proven methodology on behalf of our clients to oversee this important task. GBA's scope of services entails:
- A building site review to determine conditions that affect Building Code requirements for the new fire alarm system;
- Meeting with the civic authorities and Fire Department to define the scope of the upgrade;
- Negotiating with the authorities and Fire Department for appropriate concessions for existing conditions;
- Measuring the building as required for preparation of design drawings;
- Preparing plans in AutoCAD format;
- Designing fire alarm and voice communication systems to the requirements of the Building Code, (including device/equipment layouts, wiring protection, and interconnections with other building systems);
- Preparing the Bid Documents and Specifications;
- Assisting in pre-selection of equipment manufacturers;
- Assisting in the Bid call by proposing names of invited bidders, conducting site tours, and answering any questions that arise during the Bid period;
- Reviewing the bids and providing advice regarding selection of Contractor and equipment;
- Submitting the Building Permit application to the authorities, including the Assurance of Professional Design and Field Review Schedules;
- Reviewing the contractor's shop drawings and documentation;
- Assisting in the contract administration by attending site meetings and reviewing the contractor's progress claims and any claims for extras;
- Witnessing the new system verification and testing; and
- Attending Civic Authorities inspection and providing the Compliance Schedules.
Through the above services, GBA assists clients in receiving long-term value for the fire alarm system upgrade/replacement expenditure and in meeting the fire/life safety requirements for the building and occupants.